Video has become an extremely popular and effective format for engaging audiences on LinkedIn. Studies show LinkedIn video posts generate 3x more engagement than non-video posts. As a result, more businesses and professionals are prioritizing video content on LinkedIn as part of their social media strategy. However, to ensure success, it's crucial to optimize videos specifically for LinkedIn by following recommended specifications and best practices.
This comprehensive guide will walk through everything needed to create optimized, high-performing videos tailored for LinkedIn in 2023. From length and size limits to ideal formats, aspect ratios, and more, these insights help inform video production.
Overview of LinkedIn Video
Before diving into the technical specifications, it's helpful to understand the role and importance of video on LinkedIn.
The Power of LinkedIn Video
Video allows conveying messages and connecting with LinkedIn's audience of professionals in an engaging, memorable way. Key benefits include:
- Increased engagement - LinkedIn video posts see 3x more likes, comments, and shares vs regular posts.
- Enhanced storytelling - videos communicate narratives and messages visually. Crucial for thought leadership.
- Personality and authenticity - videos add a human element that text alone lacks. Builds relationships.
- Flexibility - from quick tips to interviews and event coverage, video is versatile.
- Education - demonstrations and how-tos help inform and instruct target audiences.
- Brand building - video helps humanize brands and makes companies more relatable.
Types of LinkedIn Videos
There are a few core ways video can be used on LinkedIn:
- Organic video posts - native videos uploaded directly to the LinkedIn feed.
- Sponsored video ads - paid ads that promote videos and brands.
- LinkedIn Live - streaming live video broadcasts.
- LinkedIn Events - pre-recorded videos uploaded to virtual events.
- LinkedIn Video Messaging - direct videos sent via messaging.
Optimizing video specs and strategy varies slightly across these different placements.
LinkedIn Video Length and Size Limits
Length and file size limitations apply to LinkedIn videos. Adhering to these restrictions ensures your videos upload and play properly across devices and contexts.
Maximum LinkedIn Video Length
- Organic videos - 3 seconds to 10 minutes
- Sponsored video ads - 3 seconds to 30 minutes
- Live videos - 10 minutes to 8 hours
- Messaging videos - 3 seconds to 5 minutes
For organic videos, keep them under 5 minutes when possible. Live streams and paid ads have more flexibility. But shorter, more concise videos tend to see higher engagement on LinkedIn.
Maximum LinkedIn Video File Size
- Organic videos - Up to 5GB
- Sponsored video ads - Up to 200MB
- Live videos - No set limit
- Messaging videos - 25MB
File compression helps fit longer or high-resolution videos within the size limits.
LinkedIn Supported Video Formats
To ensure successful video uploads, only certain file formats and codecs are supported on LinkedIn.
Organic LinkedIn Video Formats
For organic videos, LinkedIn supports MP4, QuickTime, AVI, FLV, MOV, and more. Full list:
- MP4, MOV, AVI, MKV, AVCHD, WEBM, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, ASF, WMV, FLV, F4V, H264
LinkedIn Sponsored Video Formats
For sponsored ads, LinkedIn requires videos to be uploaded in MP4 format specifically. Other formats must be converted to MP4 before uploading as a LinkedIn ad.
Live Video Format
LinkedIn Live videos are encoded and streamed in MP4 format as well. So both live and ad videos use MP4, while organic posts allow more flexibility.
Recommended LinkedIn Video Resolutions
Another key video specification is resolution, or the dimensions of the video frame in pixels.
LinkedIn supports a wide range of resolutions:
- Minimum - 256x144 pixels
- Maximum - 4096x2160 pixels
Lower resolution videos will look grainy and pixelated. High resolutions provide the best quality.
For the best clarity and sharpness, these resolutions are recommended:
- 720p HD - 1280x720
- 1080p HD - 1920x1080
- 4K UHD - 3840x2160
High-resolution footage looks professional and polished on LinkedIn, provided the file sizes adhere to limits.
LinkedIn Video Aspect Ratios
Aspect ratio specifies the proportional relationship between a video's width and height.
Organic Video Aspect Ratios
For regular video posts, these aspect ratios are recommended on LinkedIn:
- 16:9 - Standard widescreen
- 1:1 - Square format
- 9:16 - Vertical for mobile
Avoid uncommon extra wide ratios like 2.39:1 as they don't fit interfaces well.
Sponsored Video Aspect Ratios
Sponsored video ads must use one of these approved aspect ratios:
- 16:9 - 640x360 to 1920x1080 pixels
- 1:1 - 360x360 to 1920x1920 pixels
- 9:16 - 360x640 to 1080x1920 pixels
Ads can deviate slightly, but these are ideal. Match aspect ratios to viewing context, such as vertical for mobile feeds.
LinkedIn Video Frame Rate and Bitrate
Two other technical parameters to optimize are frame rate (FPS) and bitrate (Mbps).
Recommended Frame Rate
The frame rate is how many still image frames display per second in a video. LinkedIn supports these frame rates:
- Minimum - 10 FPS
- Maximum - 60 FPS
Around 30 FPS is ideal for most videos. Higher frame rates are better for action and motion.
The bitrate indicates the amount of data used per second of video. LinkedIn recommends:
- 720p videos - 3-5 Mbps
- 1080p videos - 5-10 Mbps
- 4K videos - 10-20+ Mbps
Higher resolution video requires higher bitrates to maintain quality. Balance optimization for smooth playback across devices and connections.
Video Thumbnail Specifications
LinkedIn displays video thumbnails in the feed to preview videos.
LinkedIn Video Thumbnail Dimensions
Recommended thumbnail dimensions include:
- Width - Minimum 400 pixels, maximum 4096 pixels
- Height - Minimum 400 pixels, maximum 4096 pixels
Keep minimum width above 400 pixels. Higher resolutions are better.
LinkedIn Video Thumbnail Design
Follow these best practices when designing video thumbnails:
- Choose eye-catching, bold imagery
- Use high contrast and readability
- Include branded elements like logos
- Add engaging text with video title/topic
- Maintain consistent branding and style
Thumbnails encourage viewers to click and watch the full video.
Captions and Subtitles
Enhance accessibility and language support by adding captions and subtitles to LinkedIn videos.
- Captions - SRT subtitle files
- Closed captions - Embedded burnt-in captions
SRT files allow toggling captions on/off. Burnt-in cannot be disabled.
- Maximum size - 2 MB
- Maximum length - 12,000 characters
- Encoding - UTF-8
Follow LinkedIn's style guide when crafting captions for readability.
Best Practices for Optimized LinkedIn Videos
In addition to meeting technical requirements, these best practices help boost video performance and engagement on LinkedIn:
- Grab Attention Quickly - hook viewers immediately within the first few seconds using bold graphics, compelling scenes, and energetic audio.
- Use High-Quality Visuals - invest in pro-grade cameras, lighting, and production value. Polish visuals make an impression.
- Enhance With Text Graphics - lower thirds, captions, animations, etc. help communicate and add flair. But don't overdo effects.
- Showcase Personality - let your brand personality and authenticity shine through in videos. Personal connections resonate.
- Interact with Viewers - respond to comments and post follow-ups to keep conversations going and build relationships.
- Track Performance Data - analyze metrics like views, completion rate, likes, clickthroughs, and more to guide strategy.
Optimizing both technical specs and qualitative aspects helps LinkedIn videos maximize reach and resonance.
Video Specifications for LinkedIn Ads
In addition to general specs covered above, LinkedIn video ads have a few additional requirements and options:
- Ad Text Limitations - headline (70 characters), Description (150 characters)
- Call-to-Action Overlay - prominent CTA like "Register Now" with a link.
- Companion Banner - branding banner with video. Limit 1 per ad.
- Ad Transparency - "Sponsored" tag for 5 sec at start.
- Audience Targeting - demographics, interests, companies, etc.
Recording Software for LinkedIn Videos
To produce high-quality videos to upload and share on LinkedIn, video recording and editing software is essential.
- Mobile Video Recording - smartphones with tripods and mics.
- Screen Recording - tools like Screen Story for tutorials and product demos.
- Camera Recording - DSLRs or mirrorless cameras for pro 4K footage.
- Video Editing Software - Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut, etc for post-production.
Choose solutions suited to produce videos aligned with optimal LinkedIn specs and quality standards.
Promoting and Analyzing LinkedIn Videos
Distribution and promotion are just as crucial as creation. Measure results to refine efforts.
- Share natively on LinkedIn with captions for context.
- Cross-promote videos on other social platforms.
- Feature videos prominently on owned properties like blogs and websites.
- Run LinkedIn video ad campaigns to extend reach.
- Pitch relevant videos to media outlets and influencers.
- Repurpose top videos into different formats for each platform.
LinkedIn provides robust analytics on video posts including:
- Views, Reach, Engagement Rates
- Clickthrough Rates, Traffic Sources
- Follower Growth
Regularly review metrics and optimize based on what resonates best with your audiences. Refine video strategy over time.
Videos allow authentic connections at scale.
Create Stunning LinkedIn Videos with Screen Story
Screen Story is an innovative screen and camera recording software for Mac that empowers easy creation of professional-quality videos perfect for LinkedIn.
Key features like automatic cursor animations, built-in graphics, chroma key, and flexible export options make Screen Story the ideal tool for producing engaging LinkedIn video content quickly and efficiently.
Effortless Screen Recording
Easily capture high-quality footage of your screen presentations, software demos, product walkthroughs, and more with just a click.
AI-Powered Cursor Motions
Screen Story automatically animates your mouse cursor with natural physics for lively tutorials and product demos that boost engagement.
Integrated Webcam and Audio Capture
Record yourself alongside your screen to add commentary and personalized explanations to your video.
Exports for Any Aspect Ratio
Render your videos in any dimensions needed like 16:9 landscape, 1:1 square, or 9:16 portrait for ideal playback on LinkedIn.
Direct Social Sharing
Upload and share your freshly exported videos right to LinkedIn and other platforms with one click.
For professional screen recordings perfect for LinkedIn in minutes, download Screen Story today and elevate your video marketing.
Stay Informed with Our Newsletter
Get the latest updates and exclusive content.